Guess what...it's up to YOU to take the initiative to follow up w/ brides to get pics. Very few brides are going to remember to send their makeup artist pics after the wedding...truthfully after the wedding guess what you aren't a priority and they have NEW bigger and better things to do then remember to send you pics. It's up to you to be SUPER proactive but not quite annoying to get pics from brides...and it can actually be a fine line to walk between the two.
I should note that I always make sure my brides are okay w/ me showcasing their pics on my blog or site and any bride that wouldn't be okay w/ that I wouldn't do it plain and simple! Truth is I think most brides kind of get a kick out of being featured on a website or blog...sort of like the "star treatment"...I mean I know I would feel really proud and beautiful if someone thought I was pretty enough to be on their site!
Here's how I lay the groundwork to up the chances that I'll see pictures after the wedding.
1. I start right at the trial. Yes, that's right - at the trial I will always ask who the photographer is. In fact I ask it on my contract now too! I like to research ppl in my biz...always important to learn about new talent after all...plus networking is oh so important in this biz! I always make mention how important the pictures are to the whole day...I mean they are after all the memories of the day! And I always make mention that I can't wait to see the pics after the wedding day b/c I know they are going to be gorgeous...b/c guess what - they are! I'm good at what I do...so that raises the chances of good pics by A LOT! Plus w/ a good photographer even the most uncomfortable girl in front of the camera can usually get a few good shots w/ the proper lighting, angle and makeup and hair! Also, if I can I like to ask if they are going to do an engagement shoot...another thing I think is Oh So Important! Great practice in front of the camera and great way to get to know the photographer to feel more comfortable. AND it's a chance for me to up sell my services for another event...and possibly get more pictures...b/c I'm a greedy little picture monster muah hahaha!
2. On the wedding day everyone is (hopefully) in a good and excited mood! If you do your job right the bride should be feeling relaxed, happy and the most gorgeous she's EVER felt in her entire life! Of course on the wedding day I'm always mentioning how I can't wait to see the pics. I mean I LOVE seeing the bride all done up and all my hard work on display. I love getting the beauty shots in the hotel or home but I love seeing the pics throughout the wedding too! I love to see how my work held up throughout the night or learn a thing or two on things I might have improved on. I don't always get to see the bride all dressed so of course I love seeing pics of her all done up and looking beautiful and perfect. I think the last thing I say before I leave the bride is Congratulations, I can't wait to see the pics, you look beautiful!
3. The wedding day is also a great chance to meet the photographer if you can. Unfortunately, my timing doesn't always overlap w/ the photographer. It really depends on how the bride has the scheduling set up that day. But if it does it's a great way to ask for the photographer's card, that way if the bride doesn't remember to send you photos (b/c she's just gotten busy w/ "real life" after the wedding) but you have her permission to use photos of her you can always contact the photographer yourself! Sometimes the bride has shared a gallery w/ me but never ended up sending pics or sometimes I've never seen pics at all...but usually a nicely worded email peppered w/ a little flattery to the photographer and they are more than willing themselves to send you a couple of web size images from the day. Totally let them know it's okay if they want to put a small watermark on the images (it is just the web after all). Plus I always assure them that I'll be sure to give them full credit for the photo and link their website up to my site or blog whenever possible. I've never had a photographer against that sort of thing personally.
4. A couple of days after the wedding I always send a follow up email to my bride just to let her know it was a pleasure to work w/ her and her friends and family on her wedding day and I always end the email w/ a short note saying I can't wait to see the pics!...do you see where I'm going here...I'm not being pushy, I'm just mentioning it repeatedly at appropriate moments to slowly work it into their minds that I really, really want to see their pics after their wedding lol!
5. So I have a lot of weddings...sometimes 4 a weekend. That's a lot of brides and pictures to keep up w/ esp. during busy, busy wedding season. The way I've dealt w/ this is to make a list of names w/ their wedding date beside it. Usually, after 1.5-2 mths I'll send a short follow up email to see how the bride is doing and to see if she has any pics yet. I always make sure to tell her no rush just checking in. Sometimes, she has them and sometimes she doesn't. If I get pics I can then cross her name off my list. If not, I'll check back in a couple of weeks or kind of see what she says...if she says it will be awhile b/c they haven't even look through pics I know not to bug her again for awhile.
6. If I didn't get pics when I asked the first time I will usually send one more email inquiring about pics a few weeks or a mth later. If I don't hear back from her or she just never sends me pics but I know from our past correspondences she was going to but just got busy...this is when I'll contact the photographer if I have their info.
7. If after all that I don't have pics then I just have to let it go...can't go harassing the former client after all. Sometimes it sucks b/c you know her photos were going to be gorgeous or amazing but you don't want her telling ppl ugh the makeup artist is such a pest or something like that. I always make sure when I ask to say if you don't have them yet no worries, no rush, just checking in.
Just a side note...I personally only like to have professional pics on my site now...but that's b/c I've been doing this a few years and have enough pics now. If you don't, there is nothing stopping you from asking the bride if you can take a couple of snap shots of her and her bridesmaids w/ your phone or camera. Most brides are more than happy to do that. Plus, then you don't have to wait a couple of mths for pics if you really need them!
Also, a lot of artists do Before & After shots w/ their cameras. I know it's really popular w/ brides and I'm all for it if the artist wants to do it...personally though I just don't feel right asking my bride if they mind me posting pics of them w/out any makeup. I know I wouldn't want pics of me on someone's site looking like how I know I look w/ no makeup lol (even though I have posted no makeup pics on this blog lol). But like I said that's really a personal choice for the artist.
Another side note....depending on my rapport w/ the bride I will also sometimes ask for a review at various sites...I of course give them the links to the sites...want to make this as easy as possible for them. I totally let me know they by no means have to do this and they shouldn't feel any pressure whatsoever it just helps me and my business a lot. A lot less brides go through the steps to write reviews and I'm fine w/ that...I NEVER ask more than once about a review...to me that's very different than pics.
So anyway, here's some more pics I've collected in the last week or so from some of my brides this past Summer! My website is getting so full I'm trying to get rid of some of the older pics but I love them all so much it's hard lol!
Amanda - Did both her Hair & Makeup...such gorgeous naturally curly hair!
Meaghan wanted a very simple almost rustic look. I think we accomplished that w/ her Hair & Makeup. I love her small, doll like features!
I wanted to keep the hair very "undone" and rustic to go w/ the whole look!
I actually only did Makeup for Krista's wedding...one of the only times this year where I only did Makeup! Photos courtesy of Daryl Banks
Loved her bridesmaid's skin...and hair...I can only take credit for the skin and makeup though lol ;)
Krista and her younger sister both had their hair done at Bespoke Salon in Yorkville - it's on Yonge just North of Bloor...actually perfect for me to walk to lol!
Even younger clients can wear a full face of makeup including lashes and still look natural and age appropriate!