Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Fav Wedding Makeup Looks From Last Year!


I thought since I did blogs about some of my fav hairstyles I created for last year's brides it only right to do a blog post about some of my favourite makeup looks! Especially considering I am a makeup artist first, hairstylist second...although sometimes you wouldn't know that by the amount of brides I have contacting me to just do hair sometimes lol!

One thing that has always been a constant in my bridal business is brides hire me b/c they are looking for that "Natural, Soft, Glowing" look.  Very clean and very pretty!  For the most part my brides DO NOT want to wear or look like they are wearing a lot of makeup!  The thing is that to create those looks I often have to educate brides about the face that they do in fact STILL NEED TO WEAR MAKEUP!!! More makeup then they are probably use to lol...especially considering it seems like about 75% of my clientele were minimal to no makeup for the most part lol!  When I'm interviewing staff it's actually one of the things I have to stress to them is that my clientele for the most part wants a "NATURAL LOOK"...even if they are showing me Kim K. pictures I gotta ask them questions and determine what in fact they are actually looking for (99% of the time it's not Kim K let me tell you lol)!

It's actually funny/frustrating (depends on my mood lol) how much convincing I sometimes I have to do w/ clients to make them realize they are in fact not wearing that much makeup and it's not "too much".  My day look is often more than they will let me put on them for their wedding lol (and I don't get glam day to day fyi).  I actually don't know a bridal artist who has a lighter hand than I do when it comes to understanding the approach of  less is more...a lot of times I do actually think my clients could use a bit more "drama" but I do have to respect their wishes and comfort level of course.

With that said I do still get to create some beautiful makeup looks and I do really have some beautiful clients.  I think one of things that really helps when doing a natural look is that I pretty much insist on some sort of false lash whether it be strip or individual lashes.  I've mentioned this before but I include this not only for the bride but anyone getting makeup services (and my staff do too).  I think when you are doing a "natural look" it really is one of the best ways to make the eyes pop w/out the use of a lot of shadow and if I do get the chance to do a "glam look" it's of course necessary otherwise to me the look just seems unfinished!

I definitely see a rise in the amount of airbrush foundation I'm doing on brides this past season!  I got a new airbrush compressor/gun this year and I have to say I'm actually really loving airbrush a lot more than I use to!  I don't know if it's the new machine or just me getting more skilled but I'm loving the finish, the lightness on the skin and the coverage it provides...plus my makeup phobic brides are really loving the fact that it still feels like "there is nothing on the skin" even though it gives them that flawless finish!

Adrianna is a classic example of "Pretty & Soft" Wedding Makeup! I used airbrush foundation on her and I'm still obsessed w/ her updo lol!  Photos courtesy of Azure Blue Photography

I did a return visit for Adrianna which is getting more popular with brides.  I changed up her lip to a bold red lip and smoked out the eyes a bit more!  It was the perfect addition for the evening look.  Making it a bit more "glam" but not over the top or "too much"

 Of course I have to mention Brittany when I'm talking about some of my fav makeup looks for last season!  She actually let me do a bronzy/brown/black smokey eye on her and give her a little drama.  The funny thing is that I'm always trying to explain to brides is it doesn't look that much in the pictures at all!  In fact it looks like the perfect amount...in person it didn't look "too much" either btw...but it's all about comfort level.

Airbrush foundation was used.

Diane was fun to work with!  She sent me dramatic pictures and she actually wanted dramatic makeup!  We did a full smokey eye and deep berry lip for her.  She was getting married in Nov. so it definitely worked w/ her Fall/Winter wedding.  Photos courtesy of Jennifer Moher


I love how glowy and soft Jasmine's makeup looks!  She's Eurasian and I loved working with her unique features and look.


Kadie was one of those girls that actually surprised me when I put the makeup on her!  She's a baker by trade and doesn't wear any makeup day to day but wow just a little bit of makeup on those blue eyes and porcelain skin and wow do her eyes ever pop!  I  kept commenting how she looked like a doll w/ her big blue eyes lol!

Katie and her entire group were so awesome to work with!  I knew I had to get pictures from Katie b/c I not only loved the hair I created for her but she's so pretty and I loved her makeup too!  Airbrush foundation was used.  Photographer Jennifer Ballard

Really loved the soft pink eyes, lips and cheek combo for Kyla's wedding.  Really suited her complexion and style well.


Lori was another one that let me put a bit more makeup on her!  You really can tell in the photos when everything just seems to "pop" a bit more!  Her and her entire group were so pretty!  So many great pictures from this wedding.  Renaissance Studios did a great job here! Airbrush foundation used.

Martha was so pretty!  A natural beauty, so of course we kept the makeup natural too!  Glowing cheek, soft pink lip and a neutral smokey eye!  I loved the textured updo for her so much!  Photo courtesy of Reid Lampshead

There probably isn't a bride I was more happy w/ how the makeup turned out on than Melanie.Though the look is natural Melanie had a lot of skin concerns and issues in the form of acne, scarring, redness and dry patches.As someone who has/still does suffer from acne and other skin issues I understand the stress and confidence issues it can cause.  I'm so happy I was able to create such a beautiful canvas for her so that her beautiful features and blue eyes could be the focus that day!  Her wedding photographer - Yuki Noda actually said it was some of the best wedding makeup she had seen - Big compliment indeed!  Airbrush foundation used! 

Of course I have to include my friend Sophia on the list!  She's gorgeous this was an easy one lol!  Her brother kept saying how beautiful her makeup was all night!  I took that as a huge compliment as he's in the fashion industry so he knows makeup!  Photo courtesy of Diane at DNA Phtography.  Airbrush Foundation used.

Okay well this wasn't actually a wedding I did but it was for a mock wedding photo shoot.  What was great about this is both I and the photographer understand the level of makeup necessary to create a good photo so of course I got to up it a bit more than a lot of my brides will let me do.  The results are gorgeous and I really love this copper/bronze/brown smokey eye!  Airbrush foundation used.  Photos courtesy of Lisa Mark Photography


 Tammy was such a pleasure to work with! We did a soft grey smokey eye and with a lot of Asian brides less is more and the real drama comes from the lashes and creating a nice brow to shape the eye.  Photo courtesy of Avenue Photography

To close it out here's a couple of brides I never did get photos from but I still REALLY love their makeup looks...sad I don't I have good pics of them :(  I'm thinking of adding a section on my website for snapshots b/c I don't like to mix non professional pics w/ the professional pics but it's disappointing to not share work you love or if the photographer didn't take any beauty shots of the bride (gasp...NEVER understand this one!!!)







No comments: