Everything came together so perfectly on Sunday. The location was this amazing loft loaned to us from one of Zach's friends. It was still in the mist of construction and had a great feel to it - very rustic, rough and eccentric (there was a working toilet and shower in the middle of the loft w/ nothing enclosing them lol). The weather was perfect and sunny which worked perfectly for the window scenes.
We were going for a sort of vintagey, soft, romantic sort of feel - dead leaves on the ground, old books, sunlight etc.. Once Zach clarified the theme it totally came to me to contact this accessory designer I'd heard of through another MUA friend - Sian Melton. I knew her accessories would be a perfect match for the style we were going for. So I contacted the designer Jillian at Headmistress Accessories and she was more then gracious and generous w/ the loan. I really LOVED her one headpiece that we used esp. for the beauty shot at the end.
Saturday before the shoot I picked up the hair pieces and once I saw them in person it totally changed the concept I had originally planned for the hair...and I'm so glad I went w/ my gut b/c I'm VERY happy w/ the results (I really do think I'm getting better at hair ;) ).
I actually wanted to use this technique I saw on YouTube using tin foil to curl hair. I tried it on my mannequin head before and it made the most amazing big curls. Unfortunately, it didn't work that well on Danielle's hair :S . I think it was b/c her hair was SOOOO long and it just didn't have time to dry thoroughly enough even w/ a hair dryer to make the ringlets I needed...but never fear I had a Plan B. I just took my New Magic Wand (like the one I mentioned before but now it has 3 different curling stick sizes that you can change) and went through her hair and made tiny ringlets that I then pulled apart to create some of the biggest and curliest hair I've EVER done - time consuming but SOO worth it. It lasted perfectly throughout the ENTIRE shoot! You'd never believe this girl actually has thin hair looking at the hair we got that day!
I kept her makeup fairly clean through most of the shoot. Later into the shoot I pumped up the eyes or added some lip colour. The last beauty shot was by far the most dramatic of the looks. I teased her hair out some more and gave her a bold burgundy lip w/ a purple smokey eye...it looked so hot w/ the head piece IMO.
Can't wait to see the pics...I definitely feel this one has a VERY good chance at getting picked up somewhere. Exactly what I needed for my book - A fashion story that's a bit softer but shows great hair work!
So here's some pics of the shoot throughout the day courtesy of Alexandra Loeb (b/c my camera sucks lol)
Me trying the ill fated tin foil technique on the VERY patient Danielle (I swear it does work...just not that day :( )
This is the 2nd Look - Headpiece by Headmistress Accessories