Sunday, January 19, 2014

My Favourite Loose & Down Wedding Hairstyles of 2013


So a few days ago I shared w/ you a bunch of my favourite updos from last years wedding season! Well you know what they say - what goes up, must come down.  So I thought I'd share w/ you some of my favourite half up or down wedding hairstyles from 2013.

Back in the day I think it was just assumed on your wedding day you're suppose to get an updo...well times and trends have changed and I definitely feel there has been a shift in this mentality.  I'd say it's really an even split as to whether my brides are wearing their hair up or down on their wedding day.

I will say this though, lots of people assume that wearing the hair down is a lot easier to style but for me personally I'd say depending on the bride's natural hair there is actually a lot more stress and worry as to what could go wrong!

With an updo I can be secure in my skills enough to know that it's going to stay once I have it locked in (even if it is one of those popular loose styles that everyone loves).  But when a bride opts to wear her hair down there is so much more that could go wrong!  Wind, heat, humidity...maybe the bride just has hair that doesn't hold a curl no matter what you do to it!  You never know so it actually creates a lot of stress and worry b/c of course I want nothing more than for my brides to have beautiful hair and makeup on their wedding days!

Also, one of the biggest things a lot of brides need to realize if they are going to wear their hair down is that they need either naturally very thick, voluminous hair or like most of the celebs and women of the world they need a little help w/ the use of clip-in hair extensions.  It really does make all the difference in creating the volume and body necessary for a majority of the down hairstyles for weddings!

With that being said here are some of my gorgeous brides that did totally rock wearing their hair down on their wedding days!

Adriana
A lot of times brides want curls in their hair if they are going to wear it down.  I really loved this 60's inspired half updo w/ it's sleek smoothness that I created for Adriana.  It also included additional clip-in extensions which I made for her prior to the wedding day.
Photographer - Nicole Duplantis @ Eclipse Photography

Even her bridesmaids got in on the down hairstyles for this wedding!

Denise
Denise actually has wavy, curly hair but like many curly haired girls she wanted a different type of curl on her wedding day.  It may sound weird but so many curly haired ladies opt. to blow their hair straight and then add a different type of curl back into the hair.  We kept things very simple here, not a lot of volume and just some clean, smooth beautiful curls.  Considering the rain that day I'm very impressed w/ the smoothness!


Genalyn
Genalyn was a referral from a wedding I did last year.  She was a bridesmaid and hired me for her wedding this year.  At first she didn't think she needed a trial b/c she knew she liked my style but I convinced her that a trial was still a good idea as there are still kinks to work out and it makes for a less stressful wedding day.  I'm so glad we did b/c w/out the trial I don't think we would have gotten the style to look as good as it did w/out a trial first!  Really a great reminder for brides...even if you know you love an artist having a "practice run" makes everything that much better on the wedding day!
Photographer - Chris Lacsamana


Jennifer
So many of my brides w/ naturally curly hair try to work against their hair's natural texture...not Jennifer!  Finally a curly haired bride that wanted to embrace her natural, gorgeous curls!  Everything about Jennifer's style was super natural and relaxed so I wanted the hair to be the same way.  She deffused it before I got there and then I just re-curled certain curls a little bit more to make the hair uniform throughout.  Teased a bit at the crown, pinned back a few pieces added a clip and done!
Photographer - Dave & Charlotte


Jennifer
I had done Jennifer's makeup for another wedding earlier in the year when she was a bridesmaid so I was thrilled when she contacted me a few mths later to do her hair and makeup for her own wedding!  Jennifer LOVES vintage looks and isn't afraid of makeup or volume and she wanted some Va-Va-Voom on her wedding day!  This girl has HAIR!  Curly hair that I blewout and then set for a larger, smoother style curl...when I was combing in out into the waves it was probably the only time in my career where I thought...OMG this is holding too well!  Lol w/ a little more brushing I was able to get it into the glamorous big, curl waves I wanted.


 Kristin
Kristin has gorgeous blonde hair made even more gorgeous by the blonde extensions that were added on the day for her wedding!  She is a perfect example of why you need extensions to create those big voluminous loose curls that we see in all the magazines!
Photographer - Erin @ Renaissance Studios

Laura
If I'm going to talk about down hairstyling I definitely can't forget about Laura.  She seriously has hair model hair!  That gorgeous blonde hair that is full and thick and holds curls so beautiful even after you brush it out!  Seriously if EVERY client had hair like Laura I can't even imagine what I could create!
Photographer - Tobin Grimshaw

Elissa
Laura's sister who I first met last year when she got married.  She wanted a style very similar to her wedding day except not quite as much volume.  We used the extensions I had made for her last year and they still looked amazing!  I don't think anyone would ever question that that's not her own hair!

Lucy
Lucy was a last minute bride I booked in the Fall.  We never did a trial before the wedding (I don't like to do that but sometimes it can't be helped).  I did however make clip-in extensions for her on her wedding day and they worked perfectly...even w/out a trial beforehand ;)
Photographer - Boston Ave Photography


Shannon
Shannon actually had a couple of hair trials and was back and forth a bit on exactly what she wanted...happens all the time actually.  Funny thing is she ended up going w/ the look we tried out at the first trial.  I think it's perfect and I really like the fact that most of the curls are still framing the face and only a section from the front it pulled back.  It really does depend on your face shape, hairline, hair length, texture and a bunch of other factors as to what looks best when wearing your hair down...crazy how just making the slightest alteration or decision can change the whole hairstyle.  Some people look better w/ more pulled back while others look better w/ other a tiny bit pulled back.
Photographer - Stacey Wight



1 comment:

Unknown said...

They are all gorgeous. You definitely know how to make the beauty come out of them. The wedding day is one of the most important events in a woman’s life. As much as possible, they want it to be perfect, including their hair as it’s their crowning glory. Most women want a different thing, but usually they want to have long hair. It’s no longer a problem if they have short hair since hair extensions are readily available.

Tommy @ HerHairCompany.com