Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Ice Cream!


If there is one thing I have learned about the Chinese (besides the fact that they are CRAZY drivers) it's that they LOVE ice cream! Actually they LOVE all sweets and things involving sugar but especially ice cream! When I came here in the Summer one of the first things I noticed was the obsession w/ cookies, candies and ice cream. Every metro stop has at least one bakery type stall. The grocery stores have aisles and aisles dedicated to this stuff. Hell the grocery store I shop at even has free standing Dairy Queen AND Haagen-Dazs stands in it. I will admit in the Summer I did let my sugar addiction get the best of me and I indulged and indulged and then I bulged and bulged. This time though I have resisted temptation (for the most part)...I think my poverty may have something to do w/ it lol!

What's crazy is that in Canada we don't even have Haagen-Dazs parlours and I've seen several of them in China. I can't find Fat Free cottage cheese here to save my life but I sure know where at least 3 Haagen-Dazs parlours are! They also just got a bunch of Cold Stone Creamerys here this past Summer. It's probably better for me that these don't exist in Canada b/c they are sooo goood! In Xintiandi they have both Cold Stone and Haagen-Dazs about 20 ft away from each other. Never seen Ben & Jerry's yet...I'm sure it's only a matter of time lol.